With the new school year here in Australia well and truly past, and lunch box ideas running low, I thought this would be the perfect time to refresh all of our Mum brains with new inspirations for school lunches. I absolutely LOVE making kindy lunches, and take a lot of pride in the options, variety and presentation of Ari’s food, making lunchtime a really exciting time for him.
As in the past I prepare Ari’s lunch in his Yaytray which is a super cool, fun and innovative lunch box from Yurica Labs. Prior to this blog post I have written 7 Lunches for 7 Days featuring the Yaytray which you can revisit here.
I have previously shared the many reasons why I love the Yaytray product. Here they are again:
1. It saves me time – I only prepare and clean up one container.
2. It is great for the environment – no more cling wrap.
3. It is neat and compact – the worlds first all in one eating tray.
4. Things don’t get lost – it holds it’s own cutlery.
5. Is clean and convenient – leak proof and packs up in a matter of seconds.
6. It holds a large meal – 400mls actually!
7. It’s stable and non slip – making it easy for children to eat from.
8. All the important things – like food-safe, BPA-free, phthalate-free, microwave-safe and dishwasher-safe.
9. It’s cost-effective, you don’t have to buy a million containers just this one.
10. They are a small business, so you are buying from real Mum’s and Dads who designed it because they know what we need.
To purchase a Yaytray click here and don’t forget to subscribe to the blog and you will receive your 10% off discount code! To follow Yurica Labs on Instagram click here
MONDAY – Bold and Bright
Fresh, crisp and healthy.
Rice Paper Rolls
Leftover Roast Chicken
Blueberry, Lemon and Coconut Slice
Recipe – Roast Chicken. Blueberry, Lemon and Coconut Slice. Rice Paper Rolls.
Time Savers – Roast your own chicken the night before and serve it for dinner with vegetables, or buy a store-bought version to save even more time.
Variations – Swap the chicken breast for any cold meat selection, a can of tuna, smoked salmon or cold marinated tofu. Cheese can be swapped with a vegan alternative. Rice Paper Rolls can be made in countless variations.
TUESDAY – Turning Japanese
A yummy selection of food from one of our favourite destinations.
Recipe – Sushi.
Time Savers – Edamame can be purchased in peeled form in the freezer section of grocery stores. I just pull a bag out from my freezer when I am ready to use it, and let it thaw in the fridge overnight.
Variations – Sushi can be made using lots of different options to suit all dietary requirements. If your children don’t like the idea of seaweed there are lots of varieties that are seaweed free.
WEDNESDAY – Family Favourite
A freezer friendly twist on a family favourite.
Macaroni Pasta Bites
Recipes – Macaroni Pasta Bites.
ime Savers – Use last nights left over pasta (any variety it doesn’t have to be Macaroni) to easily create this meal. Or double the batch, you can even freeze a bunch of pasta cups for future lunches.
Variations – Use your favourite pasta meal to create this dish. Carrot sticks can be exchanged for ticks of cucumber, carrot or capsicum.
THURSDAY – Healthy Balance
My perfect go to for stocking up the freezer.
Yoghurt Covered Sultanas
Recipes – Mini Quiche. Vegemite Twist.
ime Savers – Make a double batch of the quiches and store them in the freezer or serve for dinner the night before.
Variations – There are countless options of quiches available. Vegemite twists can be made glute free. The fruit and vegetables can be swapped out for your littles favourites.
FRIDAY – Baker’s Delight
Homemade versions of family favourites!
Banana, Zucchini and Carrot Loaf
Recipes – Savoury Scroll. Banana, Zucchini and Carrot Loaf.
Time Savers – These savoury scrolls are seriously so quick and easy. Banana loaf can be cut and popped in the freezer for future lunches.
Variations – There are lots of scroll variations like keeping them meat free for vegetarians.
After School Snack – This last recipe is a new favourite afternoon snack which my littles are loving. I came across it on the Instagram page of Sarita Holland who’s account is ful of delicious recipes that she makes with her children. Click here to see the post with full recipe that contains only four ingredients.
Before I wrap this up I want to share with you my three biggest time-saving tips for when it comes to meal prep! Once again I have shared these before, but they truly are life savers!
1. Make all of your meals in one go. I make breakfast, lunch and dinner all in the morning. This is a huge time saver especially in the clean up and it means that I don’t feel like I ‘live’ in the kitchen.
2. Food prep in bulk with cook ups every few months. I tend to do a big one every three months to get my lunch staples sorted.
3. Always take a packed lunch out with you when you have little babes. I make Ari and Chloe’s lunch in their Yaytray every morning, even if we think we might be home. It saves me time and money if we end up unexpectedly out for lunch.
To purchase a Yaytray click here and don’t forget to subscribe to receive my discount code! To follow Yurica Labs on Instagram click here
Photos – Nicola Holland Photography
My outfit – Mumma Bear Nursing Wear
Chloe and Ari’s Outfits (for their picnic) – Piper and Me
Don’t forget to subscribe to the blog for a full list of discount codes including ones for all of the stores mentioned in this blog.
THANKYOU for reading, I hope that you gained a useful tip or meal to work into your lives. on’t forget to keep up to date with our family life on Instagram.
*Disclaimer: At times this website contains posts where items and experiences have been sponsored, gifted or blog posts have been paid for in return for advertisement/promotion. Where this applies it will be clearly stated at the bottom of the blog post. Natalie Sullivan and www.thissweetlofeofmine.blog only endorses brands/items that her family uses, loves and highly recommends. To read the full disclaimer see here.